STD Tuning Engine internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus)

internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus)

internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

futureswap
Naturally-aspirated

01-30-2023, 01:48 PM #4
(01-03-2023, 09:37 AM)X Double Dot As someone who put an om606 in their truck and uses it from time to time to tow...can I ask why you aren't looking at a 4bt or similar engines designed for towing? or a om648 for that matter.  

weight and size was what drove me to the 606 as a 4bt/6bt wouldn't fit in my toyota.  that said, because these motors are more bore than stroke they don't have have the same grunt (or potential for grunt) off idle.

Weight size and cost are my reasons. Also the roughness of the "transmission killer" 4bt - in the bread vans they killed the TH400's I'm only looking at towing from time to time. A 6bt is too big and heavy, a duramax too big (for not wanting to do body mods) and too expensive, a quality 6.2 or 6.5 too expensive to get one that's not crap reliability. (only the marine and Hummer ones are worth a damn) Also a bit big.

I'm looking for a more car-like towing experience if i'm only going to tow 10% of the time and 90% of the time be a daily driver. My specific vehicle is a little up in the air - half ton pickup? Midsize/compact pickup? Early 90's B-body bubble Caprice? Maybe even a Dakota or Durango midsize SUV... I think the 5cyl/6cyl Mercedes would be a perfect fit in place of mild 90's gas V8's that made 200-230hp max.

I don't think i'd be abusing it - I don't have my notes handy but the 2.3L 4cyl SOHC diesel from the Sprinter's were used with 7000lb vehicle weight ratings and the 5cyls used in the 10,000lb rated ones. Would it have to rev a bit more, sure, but it did that with the 5 speed mercedes auto in those vans too. You might say well that was european use at like 55-60mph or so - well that's how I tow if i'm towing anything heavy for the vehicle anyway so i'm probably good.

Specifically I want to replace a 5.0L GM V8 - about 170-180hp, about 300lb-ft torque. A mild goose on power should do that. That doesn't mean i'm not curious about more, especially if I were to have an engine apart anyways and the parts weren't hard to obtain - like maybe the Sprinter crankshaft/rods is stronger even if you don't use the block and such, which may or may not be stronger and be worth swapping in. (i'd specifically focus on getting a Sprinter engine but i'd prefer IDI, and the 5cyls seem to be DI in the Sprinter by what I can tell - so maybe a head swap on a Sprinter short block to IDI injection?)

All said i'm always curious about more power, what guy isn't? If I could have 260hp as easily as 180hp with just another size up injector i'd be tempted!

(01-08-2023, 02:09 PM)Doug F They get those numbers from high revving, which towing is not, nor is a truck unless you're mud racing. A truck motor is a better fit for you. These are car engines designed for cars... Parts are super strong stock, except rods... However parts are hard to get.

A Sprinter 5cyl when rated for 10,000lbs of vehicle kind of is a truck motor. Smile I'm okay with gas-like power curves, it means using a gas-engine transmission and not having to futz around with axle ratios or any other changes.

I'm just doing my due dilligence...curious whats out there... is there a go-to for a rod upgrade and what power level in cars do people tend to seek that, 300hp?
futureswap
01-30-2023, 01:48 PM #4

(01-03-2023, 09:37 AM)X Double Dot As someone who put an om606 in their truck and uses it from time to time to tow...can I ask why you aren't looking at a 4bt or similar engines designed for towing? or a om648 for that matter.  

weight and size was what drove me to the 606 as a 4bt/6bt wouldn't fit in my toyota.  that said, because these motors are more bore than stroke they don't have have the same grunt (or potential for grunt) off idle.

Weight size and cost are my reasons. Also the roughness of the "transmission killer" 4bt - in the bread vans they killed the TH400's I'm only looking at towing from time to time. A 6bt is too big and heavy, a duramax too big (for not wanting to do body mods) and too expensive, a quality 6.2 or 6.5 too expensive to get one that's not crap reliability. (only the marine and Hummer ones are worth a damn) Also a bit big.

I'm looking for a more car-like towing experience if i'm only going to tow 10% of the time and 90% of the time be a daily driver. My specific vehicle is a little up in the air - half ton pickup? Midsize/compact pickup? Early 90's B-body bubble Caprice? Maybe even a Dakota or Durango midsize SUV... I think the 5cyl/6cyl Mercedes would be a perfect fit in place of mild 90's gas V8's that made 200-230hp max.

I don't think i'd be abusing it - I don't have my notes handy but the 2.3L 4cyl SOHC diesel from the Sprinter's were used with 7000lb vehicle weight ratings and the 5cyls used in the 10,000lb rated ones. Would it have to rev a bit more, sure, but it did that with the 5 speed mercedes auto in those vans too. You might say well that was european use at like 55-60mph or so - well that's how I tow if i'm towing anything heavy for the vehicle anyway so i'm probably good.

Specifically I want to replace a 5.0L GM V8 - about 170-180hp, about 300lb-ft torque. A mild goose on power should do that. That doesn't mean i'm not curious about more, especially if I were to have an engine apart anyways and the parts weren't hard to obtain - like maybe the Sprinter crankshaft/rods is stronger even if you don't use the block and such, which may or may not be stronger and be worth swapping in. (i'd specifically focus on getting a Sprinter engine but i'd prefer IDI, and the 5cyls seem to be DI in the Sprinter by what I can tell - so maybe a head swap on a Sprinter short block to IDI injection?)

All said i'm always curious about more power, what guy isn't? If I could have 260hp as easily as 180hp with just another size up injector i'd be tempted!

(01-08-2023, 02:09 PM)Doug F They get those numbers from high revving, which towing is not, nor is a truck unless you're mud racing. A truck motor is a better fit for you. These are car engines designed for cars... Parts are super strong stock, except rods... However parts are hard to get.

A Sprinter 5cyl when rated for 10,000lbs of vehicle kind of is a truck motor. Smile I'm okay with gas-like power curves, it means using a gas-engine transmission and not having to futz around with axle ratios or any other changes.

I'm just doing my due dilligence...curious whats out there... is there a go-to for a rod upgrade and what power level in cars do people tend to seek that, 300hp?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus) - by futureswap - 12-30-2022, 04:37 PM
RE: internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus) - by X Double Dot - 01-03-2023, 09:37 AM
RE: internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus) - by Doug F - 01-08-2023, 02:09 PM
RE: internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus) - by futureswap - 01-30-2023, 01:48 PM
RE: internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus) - by X Double Dot - 01-31-2023, 10:52 AM
RE: internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus) - by futureswap - 01-31-2023, 10:07 PM
RE: internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus) - by X Double Dot - 02-02-2023, 04:58 PM
RE: internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus) - by futureswap - 02-05-2023, 10:26 PM