STD Tuning Engine internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus)

internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus)

internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

futureswap
Naturally-aspirated

01-31-2023, 10:07 PM #6
I'm fine with comparable torque curves and driveability to a L03 305 chevy gas v8 - which peaks around 2400rpm, the early 90's small block pickup Vortec v8's peaked a bit higher at 2800rpm. Both were fine for light to mid tow duty maybe 4000-7000lbs max depending on axle ratios and such, like an S10 with a vortec v6 (less power than even the 305) is rated for 5000-6000lbs tow.

I dont think i'm asking too much for a 50% torque boost without trying to radically raise the torque center of the powerband, but it doesn't bother me if the engine revs to 5000-5500 if the gas v8's will do the same. If boosting 75% is as easy as 50% for the same money and the internals will take it, it's more a question of 'why not', but crazy power is not my goal. I want a somewhat carlike diesel (driveable, not perfectly refined but not a rattlecan like the 4bt) replacing the same job i've done with pre-LS gas engines. I've got no complaints about those gas engines - they do their job, even if they're not all that powerful or fast. A little more power be lovely - highway passing and hills I mean esp if the cost to up injectors is about the same - but not a dealbreaker if I can't.

Automatic is a given and I was planning on whatever stock gas engine torque converter. (which i'm pretty sure are higher stall than diesels normally like the 6.2L gm) Where does the torque curve pick up properly/usable powerband, hopefully by 1800ish? (stock GM torque converters for gas engines I seem to recall stall about there)

If rebuilding one costs 8k... erf.. i'll probably choose to make do with swapping other used engines in decent shape... really i'm going for simplicity here... for years i've wanted to go diesel, and if going diesel works well and we keep having price spikes like in the last year i'd like to consider playing with SVO/waste oils like i've heard others do with these engines tolerating it fairly well. Thats a big if though - this is an engine swap for a daily driver with some weekend tow ability and the reason i'm not leaving the engine in the Mercedes is I need something more usable than just a sedan - a Caprice station wagon i can haul 4x8 sheet in the back, same with pickups.

I'm interested in these engines beyond just one project as well - if the first project works, chances of swapping into a second, maybe even a third project are not off the table. (maybe into a Jeep or who knows what else) I dont need the fastest most desirable turbo OM606 even tho it'd meet my ~170hp min power goal off the bat - I assume an OM602 sohc or OM617 iron head 5cyl with upgraded injectors and a larger junkyard turbo from something else be doable for less money for the donor car.
This post was last modified: 01-31-2023, 10:20 PM by futureswap.
futureswap
01-31-2023, 10:07 PM #6

I'm fine with comparable torque curves and driveability to a L03 305 chevy gas v8 - which peaks around 2400rpm, the early 90's small block pickup Vortec v8's peaked a bit higher at 2800rpm. Both were fine for light to mid tow duty maybe 4000-7000lbs max depending on axle ratios and such, like an S10 with a vortec v6 (less power than even the 305) is rated for 5000-6000lbs tow.

I dont think i'm asking too much for a 50% torque boost without trying to radically raise the torque center of the powerband, but it doesn't bother me if the engine revs to 5000-5500 if the gas v8's will do the same. If boosting 75% is as easy as 50% for the same money and the internals will take it, it's more a question of 'why not', but crazy power is not my goal. I want a somewhat carlike diesel (driveable, not perfectly refined but not a rattlecan like the 4bt) replacing the same job i've done with pre-LS gas engines. I've got no complaints about those gas engines - they do their job, even if they're not all that powerful or fast. A little more power be lovely - highway passing and hills I mean esp if the cost to up injectors is about the same - but not a dealbreaker if I can't.

Automatic is a given and I was planning on whatever stock gas engine torque converter. (which i'm pretty sure are higher stall than diesels normally like the 6.2L gm) Where does the torque curve pick up properly/usable powerband, hopefully by 1800ish? (stock GM torque converters for gas engines I seem to recall stall about there)

If rebuilding one costs 8k... erf.. i'll probably choose to make do with swapping other used engines in decent shape... really i'm going for simplicity here... for years i've wanted to go diesel, and if going diesel works well and we keep having price spikes like in the last year i'd like to consider playing with SVO/waste oils like i've heard others do with these engines tolerating it fairly well. Thats a big if though - this is an engine swap for a daily driver with some weekend tow ability and the reason i'm not leaving the engine in the Mercedes is I need something more usable than just a sedan - a Caprice station wagon i can haul 4x8 sheet in the back, same with pickups.

I'm interested in these engines beyond just one project as well - if the first project works, chances of swapping into a second, maybe even a third project are not off the table. (maybe into a Jeep or who knows what else) I dont need the fastest most desirable turbo OM606 even tho it'd meet my ~170hp min power goal off the bat - I assume an OM602 sohc or OM617 iron head 5cyl with upgraded injectors and a larger junkyard turbo from something else be doable for less money for the donor car.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus) - by futureswap - 12-30-2022, 04:37 PM
RE: internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus) - by X Double Dot - 01-03-2023, 09:37 AM
RE: internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus) - by Doug F - 01-08-2023, 02:09 PM
RE: internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus) - by futureswap - 01-30-2023, 01:48 PM
RE: internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus) - by X Double Dot - 01-31-2023, 10:52 AM
RE: internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus) - by futureswap - 01-31-2023, 10:07 PM
RE: internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus) - by X Double Dot - 02-02-2023, 04:58 PM
RE: internals upgrades for bigger power? (250hp plus) - by futureswap - 02-05-2023, 10:26 PM