STD Tuning Engine NVH/smoothness of DI vs IDI? 4cyl vs 5cyl vs 6cyl?

NVH/smoothness of DI vs IDI? 4cyl vs 5cyl vs 6cyl?

NVH/smoothness of DI vs IDI? 4cyl vs 5cyl vs 6cyl?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

futureswap
Naturally-aspirated

01-30-2023, 01:57 PM #1
I was hoping people who had experiences driving more than one Mercedes diesel especially, as well as other diesels in cars or trucks (from oldsmobile 350's to GM 6.2's to ford 6.9 to cummins 6bt's - i've had a ride in all of those)

Is there any noticible difference between direct-injected models and indirect injection models?  My assumption is that the DI models would probably be a bit louder and maybe a bit rougher, I wouldn't be surprised if the newer cars try to tame the noise more but i'd have to think minus more sound insulation the DI engine be a bit louder with the hood open.

How is the smoothness of a 4cyl vs 5cyl vs 6 cyl?  Especially the 5cyl but in comparison to the others...  5cyls being uncommon i've never driven or been in one, is it smoother than a 4cyl?  Is it almost as good as a 6cyl but not quite?  Etc.  I'm sure the 6cyl is naturally smooth and the 4cyls a bit rattly otherwise...

I'm tempted to look for a 5cyl (due to being more available than 6cyls, and also being a bit shorter) and preferring an IDI as from my understanding they should rev better and be a more car-like powerband.  (i'm not looking for monster torque killing transmissions or forcing me to regear an originally gas powered vehicle, my 'tow' use is maybe 10% of the time, but still important when I do it cuz it saves me from using a heavier tow-only vehicle)
futureswap
01-30-2023, 01:57 PM #1

I was hoping people who had experiences driving more than one Mercedes diesel especially, as well as other diesels in cars or trucks (from oldsmobile 350's to GM 6.2's to ford 6.9 to cummins 6bt's - i've had a ride in all of those)

Is there any noticible difference between direct-injected models and indirect injection models?  My assumption is that the DI models would probably be a bit louder and maybe a bit rougher, I wouldn't be surprised if the newer cars try to tame the noise more but i'd have to think minus more sound insulation the DI engine be a bit louder with the hood open.

How is the smoothness of a 4cyl vs 5cyl vs 6 cyl?  Especially the 5cyl but in comparison to the others...  5cyls being uncommon i've never driven or been in one, is it smoother than a 4cyl?  Is it almost as good as a 6cyl but not quite?  Etc.  I'm sure the 6cyl is naturally smooth and the 4cyls a bit rattly otherwise...

I'm tempted to look for a 5cyl (due to being more available than 6cyls, and also being a bit shorter) and preferring an IDI as from my understanding they should rev better and be a more car-like powerband.  (i'm not looking for monster torque killing transmissions or forcing me to regear an originally gas powered vehicle, my 'tow' use is maybe 10% of the time, but still important when I do it cuz it saves me from using a heavier tow-only vehicle)

baldur
Fast

02-01-2023, 07:53 AM #2
The common rail engines are so much quieter than the IDI engines, but the IDI engines, because they were originally designed to be naturally aspirated, have a more of a petrol like powerband, high revving. DI engines with injection pumps like the OM602.980 are the loudest of them all.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
02-01-2023, 07:53 AM #2

The common rail engines are so much quieter than the IDI engines, but the IDI engines, because they were originally designed to be naturally aspirated, have a more of a petrol like powerband, high revving. DI engines with injection pumps like the OM602.980 are the loudest of them all.

Baldur Gislason

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average