STD Tuning Engine Problem with a new ECU / Hybrid Turbo (MAP Sensor)

Problem with a new ECU / Hybrid Turbo (MAP Sensor)

Problem with a new ECU / Hybrid Turbo (MAP Sensor)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DattMtn
Naturally-aspirated

03-24-2023, 10:20 AM #1
I have a w210 that I recently swapped for in an upgraded hybrid turbo (benzinjectors.com/product-page/om606-hybrid-turbo) with a Sean Tracy ECU to go with it. What is happening now is on even a mild pull the Check Engine Electronics light comes on and it spits a P0235 code (Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit Malfunction). I got a data logging OBDII reader so that I could read/clear the codes but also I could use the live data & datalogging. What I am noticing is that I am hitting the 1.6bar limit on the MAP sensor and I believe that is what is tripping the P0235 code. 

You can see in the graph that the MAP sensor is flatlining at 75inHg which translates to 1.54bar / 22.14psi. Keep in mind that MAP sensors read absolute pressure so we'd have to subtract atmospheric from the 75inHg to find the boost. I made an excel spreadsheet that will translate the MAP sensor inHg to boost pressure bar/psi (I am an engineer so excel is my native habitat). 

What this feels like in car is as the car is building boost, at the mid-top end of a pull (~4000rpm) it starts to stutter hard. You can see that in the graph that I attached. Once the MAP flatlines the RPMs graph gets jagged. This was all done with the pedal on the mat. 

Does anyone have a reference to a 3bar MAP sensor that would be plug and play? Has anyone experienced these same symptoms and have been able to solve? MAP sensor PN is 011 542 07 17. It looks like they used this PN across lots of years and models including sprinters / others and I don't see a specific one for the W210. Since these are seemingly universal now and the ones I am finding seem to be rated to 2500kPa (2.5bar), would those play nice?
DattMtn
03-24-2023, 10:20 AM #1

I have a w210 that I recently swapped for in an upgraded hybrid turbo (benzinjectors.com/product-page/om606-hybrid-turbo) with a Sean Tracy ECU to go with it. What is happening now is on even a mild pull the Check Engine Electronics light comes on and it spits a P0235 code (Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit Malfunction). I got a data logging OBDII reader so that I could read/clear the codes but also I could use the live data & datalogging. What I am noticing is that I am hitting the 1.6bar limit on the MAP sensor and I believe that is what is tripping the P0235 code. 

You can see in the graph that the MAP sensor is flatlining at 75inHg which translates to 1.54bar / 22.14psi. Keep in mind that MAP sensors read absolute pressure so we'd have to subtract atmospheric from the 75inHg to find the boost. I made an excel spreadsheet that will translate the MAP sensor inHg to boost pressure bar/psi (I am an engineer so excel is my native habitat). 

What this feels like in car is as the car is building boost, at the mid-top end of a pull (~4000rpm) it starts to stutter hard. You can see that in the graph that I attached. Once the MAP flatlines the RPMs graph gets jagged. This was all done with the pedal on the mat. 

Does anyone have a reference to a 3bar MAP sensor that would be plug and play? Has anyone experienced these same symptoms and have been able to solve? MAP sensor PN is 011 542 07 17. It looks like they used this PN across lots of years and models including sprinters / others and I don't see a specific one for the W210. Since these are seemingly universal now and the ones I am finding seem to be rated to 2500kPa (2.5bar), would those play nice?

barrote
Superturbo

03-24-2023, 11:45 AM #2
Looks like a resolution problem...
A wide sensor and a well calibrated map should do the trick.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
03-24-2023, 11:45 AM #2

Looks like a resolution problem...
A wide sensor and a well calibrated map should do the trick.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

DattMtn
Naturally-aspirated

04-05-2023, 12:47 PM #3
The person I bought the kit from sent me a new 3bar MAP sensor. I installed it and it has eliminated the CEL issue. However the massive hesitation and very bad sounds from the motor (sounds like it is running on 5 cylinders) at ~4000rpm. I have reached out to the person who sold the kit and he has reached out to Sean Tracy who provided the tuned ECU and neither could answer why it runs so poorly. I put the OEM ECU back into the car and it is running fine enough to drive around town, but I have a concern that since I disabled the vacuum lines for the EGR & Wastegate control. Will there be any issues (ie limp mode / CEL) with running the car without that vacuum line hooked up? The new turbo is a pressure actuated wastegate.
DattMtn
04-05-2023, 12:47 PM #3

The person I bought the kit from sent me a new 3bar MAP sensor. I installed it and it has eliminated the CEL issue. However the massive hesitation and very bad sounds from the motor (sounds like it is running on 5 cylinders) at ~4000rpm. I have reached out to the person who sold the kit and he has reached out to Sean Tracy who provided the tuned ECU and neither could answer why it runs so poorly. I put the OEM ECU back into the car and it is running fine enough to drive around town, but I have a concern that since I disabled the vacuum lines for the EGR & Wastegate control. Will there be any issues (ie limp mode / CEL) with running the car without that vacuum line hooked up? The new turbo is a pressure actuated wastegate.

WSchotty
K26-2

04-09-2023, 11:01 PM #4
Could be loss of fuel? Is IP supply pressure maintained when under high load? With the new MAP do you see continuation of the boost or is it still flat lining?

If pump timing is off when the centrifugal advance kicks in could be over advancing, would imagine that would cause some bad sound, though should see some other signs of over-advance like louder and more smoke in all of the range.
This post was last modified: 04-09-2023, 11:07 PM by WSchotty.

WSchotty
04-09-2023, 11:01 PM #4

Could be loss of fuel? Is IP supply pressure maintained when under high load? With the new MAP do you see continuation of the boost or is it still flat lining?

If pump timing is off when the centrifugal advance kicks in could be over advancing, would imagine that would cause some bad sound, though should see some other signs of over-advance like louder and more smoke in all of the range.

DattMtn
Naturally-aspirated

04-12-2023, 12:32 PM #5
I was curious if there was a lack of fuel pressure that could be causing that issue. I would need to tap into the pressurized fuel line and somehow record fuel pressure through a pull to see. There was mention of the timing, and slack in the timing chain but this is a 80K mile motor I bought from an elderly lady. It still has the factory stickers on the head that look brand new so I think the timing chain should be good. I sent the ECU back and they will send me a new one, if the same issue persists I will certainly investigate the fuel pressure.
DattMtn
04-12-2023, 12:32 PM #5

I was curious if there was a lack of fuel pressure that could be causing that issue. I would need to tap into the pressurized fuel line and somehow record fuel pressure through a pull to see. There was mention of the timing, and slack in the timing chain but this is a 80K mile motor I bought from an elderly lady. It still has the factory stickers on the head that look brand new so I think the timing chain should be good. I sent the ECU back and they will send me a new one, if the same issue persists I will certainly investigate the fuel pressure.

lincolntruck
Naturally-aspirated

10-13-2023, 11:31 AM #6
Weird …. I wonder if I got your old computer, I have an 80k mile 98 that I just installed a state 2 computer and it sets the same code.
lincolntruck
10-13-2023, 11:31 AM #6

Weird …. I wonder if I got your old computer, I have an 80k mile 98 that I just installed a state 2 computer and it sets the same code.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average