STD Tuning Engine om612 tuning

om612 tuning

om612 tuning

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mitsosael75
Naturally-aspirated

06-06-2023, 09:30 AM #1
Hello i have om612 ml270 cdi 
a remap takes you to 210 hp . I wanted to ask what is the first limitation when tuning this engine.Is the 722.6 torque limited and throws limp mode beyond 210hp/500nm?. Is the max 200-210 hp because the map sensor cant read more boost ? because i have seen the gt22 can provide around 2 bar and dieselpumpuk has made 350 hp with a cp1 pump and stock injectors on an om613 (although with a heavily modified exhaust and intake manifold).
Would a simple 4 bar map sensor be enough to get a 250 hp tune on stock pump,injectors ,turbo?
If not would an om613 turbo with a cp3 pump be enough for 250-300 hp without new injectors? 
Also i have noticed the cp3 has a built in lift pump is this any good for 250-300hp or is an in-tank pump required to avoid fuel starvation.?
Last question, What is the max hp stock injectors can make if everything else is maxed out (cp3,big turbo)
Thanks to anyone that takes the time to answer my questions.
mitsosael75
06-06-2023, 09:30 AM #1

Hello i have om612 ml270 cdi 
a remap takes you to 210 hp . I wanted to ask what is the first limitation when tuning this engine.Is the 722.6 torque limited and throws limp mode beyond 210hp/500nm?. Is the max 200-210 hp because the map sensor cant read more boost ? because i have seen the gt22 can provide around 2 bar and dieselpumpuk has made 350 hp with a cp1 pump and stock injectors on an om613 (although with a heavily modified exhaust and intake manifold).
Would a simple 4 bar map sensor be enough to get a 250 hp tune on stock pump,injectors ,turbo?
If not would an om613 turbo with a cp3 pump be enough for 250-300 hp without new injectors? 
Also i have noticed the cp3 has a built in lift pump is this any good for 250-300hp or is an in-tank pump required to avoid fuel starvation.?
Last question, What is the max hp stock injectors can make if everything else is maxed out (cp3,big turbo)
Thanks to anyone that takes the time to answer my questions.

baldur
Fast

06-13-2023, 11:01 AM #2
Hi. I have some experience with this engine, been driving a modified ML270CDI as my daily driver for 3 years now and it's now making 400+ horsepower. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ2wIc-jMbE
The modifications I have done:
OM648 GT23V based hybrid turbo built by Pioneering Performance. I chose the electric actuator OM648 turbo because the response is much better than you can get with vacuum control.
Bigger intercooler
3 inch exhaust
CP3L110 pump off an OM628
Custom injectors by Dieselmeken, flow is close to 4 times what the stock injectors flow but they are precisely calibrated and balanced so the engine runs as smooth as stock.
Snow performance methanol injection
DID1 ECU

To address your questions:
1. I'm still running the stock 722.6 in my car, and unmodified EGS51 was perfect up to 320 horsepower, ran it like that for almost 3 years. At 400+ horsepower no EGS anything will work properly because the torque calculation overflows and it puts you on a torque limit in first and second gear, this can probably be fixed in software but I had no luck with it after flashing the EGS 10 times maxing out all the commonly known limiters. I am now running a TCM2800 controller on my transmission.

2. There is absolutely no point in changing the MAP sensor without changing the turbo, the stock turbo can not safely produce more boost than the stock MAP sensor can read and it most certainly won't make power at 2 bar.

3. It is not really necessary to change the high pressure pump unless you change the injectors. The stock CP1 pump will provide all the fuel the stock injectors can possibly flow, as long as the injectors are not worn out and sending all that fuel straight to the return flow.

4. The CP3 lift pump is no good for sucking directly from the tank through a filter, it won't flow much fuel that way, the cars that come with this pump all have an electric low pressure feed pump. I use a Walbro GSL392 pump and an inline pressure regulator on my car.

5. Max the stock turbo can make is about 210-220 horsepower with 1.5-1.6 bar boost. Max the stock injectors can efficiently make is about 250-270 horsepower, and an OM613 turbo is perfect for that power level. I made over 300 horsepower with the stock injectors thanks to a generous amount of methanol to supplement the diesel.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
06-13-2023, 11:01 AM #2

Hi. I have some experience with this engine, been driving a modified ML270CDI as my daily driver for 3 years now and it's now making 400+ horsepower. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ2wIc-jMbE
OM648 GT23V based hybrid turbo built by Pioneering Performance. I chose the electric actuator OM648 turbo because the response is much better than you can get with vacuum control.
Bigger intercooler
3 inch exhaust
Custom injectors by Dieselmeken, flow is close to 4 times what the stock injectors flow but they are precisely calibrated and balanced so the engine runs as smooth as stock.
DID1 ECU

1. I'm still running the stock 722.6 in my car, and unmodified EGS51 was perfect up to 320 horsepower, ran it like that for almost 3 years. At 400+ horsepower no EGS anything will work properly because the torque calculation overflows and it puts you on a torque limit in first and second gear, this can probably be fixed in software but I had no luck with it after flashing the EGS 10 times maxing out all the commonly known limiters. I am now running a TCM2800 controller on my transmission.

2. There is absolutely no point in changing the MAP sensor without changing the turbo, the stock turbo can not safely produce more boost than the stock MAP sensor can read and it most certainly won't make power at 2 bar.

3. It is not really necessary to change the high pressure pump unless you change the injectors. The stock CP1 pump will provide all the fuel the stock injectors can possibly flow, as long as the injectors are not worn out and sending all that fuel straight to the return flow.

4. The CP3 lift pump is no good for sucking directly from the tank through a filter, it won't flow much fuel that way, the cars that come with this pump all have an electric low pressure feed pump. I use a Walbro GSL392 pump and an inline pressure regulator on my car.

5. Max the stock turbo can make is about 210-220 horsepower with 1.5-1.6 bar boost. Max the stock injectors can efficiently make is about 250-270 horsepower, and an OM613 turbo is perfect for that power level. I made over 300 horsepower with the stock injectors thanks to a generous amount of methanol to supplement the diesel.

Baldur Gislason

mitsosael75
Naturally-aspirated

06-18-2023, 02:42 PM #3
(06-13-2023, 11:01 AM)baldur Hi. I have some experience with this engine, been driving a modified ML270CDI as my daily driver for 3 years now and it's now making 400+ horsepower. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ2wIc-jMbE
Bigger intercooler
3 inch exhaust
DID1 ECU

First thank you for taking the time for very detailed explanation .2nd mate it was your video that made me make this post. This acceleration is completely insane must be way more than 400hp man this is 2.3 ton car accelerating almost 5 seconds 0-100 ,with some solenoid mods in transmission you probably go under 5 seconds thats g63 territory. You mentioned you flashed egs51? how its possible i saw only egs52 and up can be flashed. Also egs51 didnt hit a torque limit with stock software until 320hp? Did you remove any limiters through star diagnostic ? So for 250-270hp all i need is an om613 -om648 turbo && map 4 bar if egs doesnt have problems with torque. Sorry for asking many questions im trying to see if i understand correctly. My main problem until now was that i thought i needed to swap egs51 to egs52 then program whatever needs to be programed for egs52 to talk to the car normally and if anything goes wrong its big downtime until i figure it out.
mitsosael75
06-18-2023, 02:42 PM #3

(06-13-2023, 11:01 AM)baldur Hi. I have some experience with this engine, been driving a modified ML270CDI as my daily driver for 3 years now and it's now making 400+ horsepower. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ2wIc-jMbE
Bigger intercooler
3 inch exhaust
DID1 ECU

First thank you for taking the time for very detailed explanation .2nd mate it was your video that made me make this post. This acceleration is completely insane must be way more than 400hp man this is 2.3 ton car accelerating almost 5 seconds 0-100 ,with some solenoid mods in transmission you probably go under 5 seconds thats g63 territory. You mentioned you flashed egs51? how its possible i saw only egs52 and up can be flashed. Also egs51 didnt hit a torque limit with stock software until 320hp? Did you remove any limiters through star diagnostic ? So for 250-270hp all i need is an om613 -om648 turbo && map 4 bar if egs doesnt have problems with torque. Sorry for asking many questions im trying to see if i understand correctly. My main problem until now was that i thought i needed to swap egs51 to egs52 then program whatever needs to be programed for egs52 to talk to the car normally and if anything goes wrong its big downtime until i figure it out.

baldur
Fast

06-18-2023, 05:18 PM #4
(06-18-2023, 02:42 PM)mitsosael75
Bigger intercooler
3 inch exhaust
DID1 ECU

I ran on a 1/8th mile drag strip this weekend, ran an 8.61 at 80mph which is good performance for what the car is (a tank that weighs 2.3 tons on the line) and I think I have more in it, I really haven't fine tuned it properly since the turbo swap.
I never tuned the EGS51, but a stock EGS51 worked fine until it made 400 horsepower, there was absolutely no reason to tune it apart from the occasional torque limit in first and second gear which only really showed up if you did a hard launch.
I have another transmission with a modified valve body that I need to assemble and put in the car some day, but while the original transmission with 312000km on it still holds it's not making very swift shifts at this power level, I'm having to limit torque during shifts to make sure the shifts get done without burning up the clutches. I expect with a fresh transmission it's going to be even better. I have a transmission with similar mods in my Ssangyong Musso and that is able to make shifts at this power level with no torque limiting, even chirping the tyres as it goes from third to fourth gear.
I am also limiting engine power in the ECU mapping to get a clean launch without too much wheel spin, it's not until second gear that it's really able to take full power without cooking the front tyres, the problem is the centre differential isn't lockable and when the acceleration hits and it gets weight transfer and unloads the front tyres they start to spin, and then the front end squats down due to the lost acceleration and unloads the rear and then all 4 tyres spin. I am considering swapping in a different transfer case that allows full power to the rear wheels regardless of whether the fronts are touching the ground, I would expect this modification to get the 60ft times down from 1.9xx which is actually already very good for such a heavy car, and into the 1.7s

Baldur Gislason

baldur
06-18-2023, 05:18 PM #4

Bigger intercooler
3 inch exhaust
DID1 ECU

I ran on a 1/8th mile drag strip this weekend, ran an 8.61 at 80mph which is good performance for what the car is (a tank that weighs 2.3 tons on the line) and I think I have more in it, I really haven't fine tuned it properly since the turbo swap.
I never tuned the EGS51, but a stock EGS51 worked fine until it made 400 horsepower, there was absolutely no reason to tune it apart from the occasional torque limit in first and second gear which only really showed up if you did a hard launch.
I have another transmission with a modified valve body that I need to assemble and put in the car some day, but while the original transmission with 312000km on it still holds it's not making very swift shifts at this power level, I'm having to limit torque during shifts to make sure the shifts get done without burning up the clutches. I expect with a fresh transmission it's going to be even better. I have a transmission with similar mods in my Ssangyong Musso and that is able to make shifts at this power level with no torque limiting, even chirping the tyres as it goes from third to fourth gear.
I am also limiting engine power in the ECU mapping to get a clean launch without too much wheel spin, it's not until second gear that it's really able to take full power without cooking the front tyres, the problem is the centre differential isn't lockable and when the acceleration hits and it gets weight transfer and unloads the front tyres they start to spin, and then the front end squats down due to the lost acceleration and unloads the rear and then all 4 tyres spin. I am considering swapping in a different transfer case that allows full power to the rear wheels regardless of whether the fronts are touching the ground, I would expect this modification to get the 60ft times down from 1.9xx which is actually already very good for such a heavy car, and into the 1.7s

Baldur Gislason

mitsosael75
Naturally-aspirated

06-19-2023, 03:35 PM #5
(06-18-2023, 05:18 PM)baldur
Bigger intercooler
3 inch exhaust
DID1 ECU

thanks for all the info. I would love to see more videos from your developments
maybe you can get a broken w163 transfer case (sure theres plenty out there hehe) , weld the gears so it acts like locked diff and just disconnect front driveshaftto have all power go only to the back

the om648 turbo rear must be incompatible with the clamp style downpipe of the ml how did you deal with that?
What size intercooler did you use? 
sorry for many noob questions i know only the basics of diesel tuning
mitsosael75
06-19-2023, 03:35 PM #5

(06-18-2023, 05:18 PM)baldur
Bigger intercooler
3 inch exhaust
DID1 ECU

thanks for all the info. I would love to see more videos from your developments
maybe you can get a broken w163 transfer case (sure theres plenty out there hehe) , weld the gears so it acts like locked diff and just disconnect front driveshaftto have all power go only to the back

the om648 turbo rear must be incompatible with the clamp style downpipe of the ml how did you deal with that?

baldur
Fast

06-20-2023, 10:45 AM #6
(06-19-2023, 03:35 PM)mitsosael75 thanks for all the info. I would love to see more videos from your developments

I already have a broken W163 transfer case, haven't disected what went wrong with it, but I don't want to weld the diff, this is a road car and it's super annoying to drive on asphalt with the front and rear axles locked together. I have gotten my hands on a transfer case from a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 which has the rear wheels permanently coupled to the transmission output shaft and an electronically controlled multi disc clutch to connect the front diff. It's not a perfect solution but it is better suited to putting big power to the ground than the original transfer case, and I never use low range on this car anyway.

For the turbo, I welded a 3" V band flange to the turbine housing.
The intercooler I am using is https://www.frozenboost.com/front-mount-...p-201.html and it is a pretty nice fit, there's no way you could fit anything wider or thicker behind the original grille, possibly slightly taller. By welding to the ends I was able to bring the inlet and outlet to the factory locations.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
06-20-2023, 10:45 AM #6

(06-19-2023, 03:35 PM)mitsosael75 thanks for all the info. I would love to see more videos from your developments

I already have a broken W163 transfer case, haven't disected what went wrong with it, but I don't want to weld the diff, this is a road car and it's super annoying to drive on asphalt with the front and rear axles locked together. I have gotten my hands on a transfer case from a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 which has the rear wheels permanently coupled to the transmission output shaft and an electronically controlled multi disc clutch to connect the front diff. It's not a perfect solution but it is better suited to putting big power to the ground than the original transfer case, and I never use low range on this car anyway.

For the turbo, I welded a 3" V band flange to the turbine housing.
The intercooler I am using is https://www.frozenboost.com/front-mount-...p-201.html and it is a pretty nice fit, there's no way you could fit anything wider or thicker behind the original grille, possibly slightly taller. By welding to the ends I was able to bring the inlet and outlet to the factory locations.

Baldur Gislason

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average