STD
Quick manifold survey - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Quick manifold survey (/showthread.php?tid=5034)

Quick manifold survey - TurboAlex - 10-19-2013

Hi, i study entrepreneurship in Norway and i made this survey to see if there is any interest among the public to maby manufacture high quality exhaust manifold by request. It takes no more than 1 minute, and is completly anonymous.

https://bino.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3w354TQ3KdM7Ndj

Regards Alexander

RE: Quick manifold survey - Booster - 10-19-2013

Done...

RE: Quick manifold survey - TurboAlex - 10-19-2013

(10-19-2013, 09:01 AM)Booster Done...

Tanks :-) Maby KKD Motorsport will have a competitor in the future Big Grin

RE: Quick manifold survey - Tito - 10-19-2013

Done...

RE: Quick manifold survey - MFSuper90 - 10-19-2013

I had to figure out how many USD were in a Euro, but I got it done! haha

RE: Quick manifold survey - bricktron - 10-19-2013

please post the results here when it's done!

RE: Quick manifold survey - jgs600 - 10-20-2013

done Smile

RE: Quick manifold survey - mantahead - 10-20-2013

Done,

problem is dude, there is no one making a right hand drive manifold.

other thing is, sometimes a car builder will have to make the manifold to suit the turbo or turbos he has and the room he has in the engine bay.
If we had to buy a manifold every time we made some changes there wouldn't be as many projects on the go.

RE: Quick manifold survey - TurboAlex - 10-20-2013

I will post the results when the survey is done :-)

Hmm? A right hand manifold, i guess with some fiddeling it can be done. I will go to the drawing board and see what i can do, but the first problem i see is space.

I can relate to what you say Undecided I guess if people specify what engine/car combo in the order i can go and measure to spec, or at least try to figure out a way to make the customer happy.

And i also think that people who change from single turbo to compound, or some other crazy stuff i see is going to make there own anyways because they constantly change their cars, but people who want a daily driver STD will be happy if someone could offer a nice quality manifold for a reasonable price.

RE: Quick manifold survey - Mark_M - 10-20-2013

Your idea is sound for stockish installs but fails a bit when it comes to anything that isn't stock. Engine transplants and things like that. Trying to cater for that market I think would be a world of hurt I think. Good luck to your though.

RE: Quick manifold survey - hansendk - 10-21-2013

its very simple make 1 LHD and 1 RHD for all others do a DIY kit with the flanges for engine and turbo add a number of bends and 1 to 2 meter off pipe this way you sell more and all with special builds can buy all they need for the manifold in 1 place.

RE: Quick manifold survey - Booster - 10-21-2013

Let's face it, everyone wants a good quality proven manifold for every application possible but for no money at all. Would be a good start to provide a good starter kit for all applications, flanges etc.

RE: Quick manifold survey - TurboAlex - 10-21-2013

(10-21-2013, 11:32 AM)Booster Let's face it, everyone wants a good quality proven manifold for every application possible but for no money at all. Would be a good start to provide a good starter kit for all applications, flanges etc.

Good input from everyone. Like HansenDK and Booster are saying it would be well worth adding a DIY kit to the inventory so people can choose what they need. Wery good idea Big Grin

And by the way, if anyone has a good idea or would just like to see a product added to the business idea you are more than welcome to write a post, or PM me Smile

RE: Quick manifold survey - Simpler=Better - 10-21-2013

Hey don't be treadin' on me-I'm halfway to a DIY kit :p

I'd say ~$400 is fair for a completed manifold. T4 would probably be best, because then you can adapt down to T3, VNT, etc.

RE: Quick manifold survey - Booster - 10-21-2013

I would buy manifold if it was £250-300 paying the best part of £500-600 is just silly. The KKD manifolds look great but are just too expensive.

The only downside to a kit is if you can compentantly weld it together why can't you cut and bend tube?

So really all your buying is flanges? And they are available online from a number of places?

Everything has it's downsides I guess but people love plug and play type stuff.

The best selling solution would be an out the box manifolds for all the popular conversions and standard cars.

So many combinations though?

RE: Quick manifold survey - hooblah - 10-21-2013

(10-21-2013, 01:37 PM)Booster I would buy manifold if it was £250-300 paying the best part of £500-600 is just silly. The KKD manifolds look great but are just too expensive.

The only downside to a kit is if you can compentantly weld it together why can't you cut and bend tube?

I agree with you on the first bit, £600 is silly money for a manifold.

But I dont agree with you on the second bit. I can competently weld, it may not be the best looking weld but it does the job. I can even cut tube with an angle grinder. But one thing I cant do is bend it. I dont have a mandrel bender to hand, and I certainly dont have the space for one!

This is my hobby. Im not a professional with a garage big enough for 10 cars. I dont have thousands of pounds burning a hole in my pocket. I need things of good quality that are reasonably priced, and If I can make it myself to save a few quid then I will.

RE: Quick manifold survey - Gasoil - 10-22-2013

Done. I think 600 euro can be a good price for a quality manifold, as high price. The 800 euro from KKD is a bit expensive for my pocket, also cars is my hobby....Another good alternative could be sell the manifold in kit, without welding, and a friend can weld all parts with TIG, this way cheaper.

RE: Quick manifold survey - Booster - 10-23-2013

(10-21-2013, 05:37 PM)hooblah
(10-21-2013, 01:37 PM)Booster I would buy manifold if it was £250-300 paying the best part of £500-600 is just silly. The KKD manifolds look great but are just too expensive.

I agree with you on the first bit, £600 is silly money for a manifold.

But I dont agree with you on the second bit. I can competently weld, it may not be the best looking weld but it does the job. I can even cut tube with an angle grinder. But one thing I cant do is bend it. I dont have a mandrel bender to hand, and I certainly dont have the space for one!

This is my hobby. Im not a professional with a garage big enough for 10 cars. I dont have thousands of pounds burning a hole in my pocket. I need things of good quality that are reasonably priced, and If I can make it myself to save a few quid then I will.

We will agree to disagree! Haha

Pre bent tube in mild or stainless can be had online for next to nothing.

I do think its a good idea as a kit but a pre made manifold is the best option IMO.

That way anybody can have one regardless of if they or there mate might be able to weld, a relatively thin gauge steel manifold will not be a project for a beginner or home mechanic. Let alone stainless welding.

£300 is right on the money IMO. If you produce a manifold I will have one for a om605 in a c250, your first customer

RE: Quick manifold survey - Eric78 - 02-08-2014

done...

RE: Quick manifold survey - F.R.A.S - 02-08-2014

Right hand manifold is no problem Smile

But I have answered the questions. Anything to help!

RE: Quick manifold survey - 300SD_KY - 02-08-2014

Done. How about an upgraded turbo, headers etc package for my 1979 300SD?