STD Tuning Engine White smoke with OM617 M pump 6mm element swap

White smoke with OM617 M pump 6mm element swap

White smoke with OM617 M pump 6mm element swap

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Echo575
Naturally-aspirated

06-15-2024, 01:35 PM #1
I swapped 6mm edc pump elements in my OM617 M-pump and I am getting a lot of white smoke when revving, bluish smoke at idle.

I had the pump on a test bench and it made 103cc with the rack travel that I have on my pump, all the elements are withing 1cc of each other after checking multiple times and adjusting them. I installed the pump back on my car and drip timed it at 25° like you are supposed to on this pump and engine.

When revving and pressing more than half throttle the smoke turns from black to white and I can feel the engine power reduce, if I suddenly floor it in neutral it doesn't want to rev and will misfire and smoke a lot of white.

I wonder if these elements are somehow different from the OM617 stock 5.5mm elements and need more advance or something to work? The pump worked perfectly on my test bench and the car is completely driveable, idles fine etc.

I also noticed when starting cold, it misfires a lot and smokes a ton at idle, which makes me think it's an advance problem but I have double checked the timing to be at 25° btdc, cam lobes pointing up etc so not 180° off.
Echo575
06-15-2024, 01:35 PM #1

I swapped 6mm edc pump elements in my OM617 M-pump and I am getting a lot of white smoke when revving, bluish smoke at idle.

I had the pump on a test bench and it made 103cc with the rack travel that I have on my pump, all the elements are withing 1cc of each other after checking multiple times and adjusting them. I installed the pump back on my car and drip timed it at 25° like you are supposed to on this pump and engine.

When revving and pressing more than half throttle the smoke turns from black to white and I can feel the engine power reduce, if I suddenly floor it in neutral it doesn't want to rev and will misfire and smoke a lot of white.

I wonder if these elements are somehow different from the OM617 stock 5.5mm elements and need more advance or something to work? The pump worked perfectly on my test bench and the car is completely driveable, idles fine etc.

I also noticed when starting cold, it misfires a lot and smokes a ton at idle, which makes me think it's an advance problem but I have double checked the timing to be at 25° btdc, cam lobes pointing up etc so not 180° off.

Echo575
Naturally-aspirated

06-15-2024, 10:55 PM #2
Update: Increased pump advance to 27 degrees btdc, result is no more smoke at idle, no idea why it needs this much not to smoke but I don't care. The other thing is I reduced rack travel and after a certain amount of reducing it, the white smoke disappears, can it be that since these elements are from a EDC pump, they don't support the same rack travel as older pump elements and if you force the rack travel too high it will cause weird behaviour like messed up injection duration or timing?
I noticed earlier when I pressed too much throttle that the smoke turns white and acceleration noticeably decreases, also the engine will make a rapid deep knocking sound when it smokes white.
Echo575
06-15-2024, 10:55 PM #2

Update: Increased pump advance to 27 degrees btdc, result is no more smoke at idle, no idea why it needs this much not to smoke but I don't care. The other thing is I reduced rack travel and after a certain amount of reducing it, the white smoke disappears, can it be that since these elements are from a EDC pump, they don't support the same rack travel as older pump elements and if you force the rack travel too high it will cause weird behaviour like messed up injection duration or timing?
I noticed earlier when I pressed too much throttle that the smoke turns white and acceleration noticeably decreases, also the engine will make a rapid deep knocking sound when it smokes white.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average