STD
Differences between N/A and turbo OM606? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Differences between N/A and turbo OM606? (/showthread.php?tid=3530)

Differences between N/A and turbo OM606? - McAdam - 04-11-2012

I searched for a bit, maybe I didn't go back far enough so pardon my ignorance.

What are the main differences? If I were looking for an engine to build, would it matter what I started out with? My eventual plans are around 550rwhp with a myna or similar mechanical pump and a huge turbo with a swap into a Datsun 280ZX and a manual gear box.

I can find an OM606 turbo engine for around $2000 plus shipping, or there is a 1995 om606 n/a about 100 miles away for $575. Since I would have to get a new exhaust manifold for the massive turbo HE351ve, and a completely different injection pump, would the only thing I would need to address be the rods? I can buy a lot of custom rods for $1425. well, not a lot, but 2 sets at least!

From what I have turned up on the web, the turbos and N/As share cranks, blocks, heads, different cams (n/a makes more power when turbo'd?) N/A pistons can hold high HP , but the rods can't from what I have been able to find.

any and all help would be greatly appreciated! or, if this has already been discussed, a link to the thread would be awesome! thanks in advance

RE: Differences between N/A and turbo OM606? - erling66 - 04-11-2012

Don't focus only on the price difference on the 2 engines, also consider milage, condition and how complete they are. the plus side of the 606 n/a is that is has mechanical pump if it is from a w124. But there are many differences in favor of the turbo engine, you mentioned a few and the block is different(oil lines in and out of turbo), and different oil pump(I believe), and external oil cooler + maybe more details I haven't noticed yet.
HE351ve is not a huge turbo and will not get you to 550hp.
This is a huge turboBig Grin

But maybe it will be a little slow to spoolTongue

RE: Differences between N/A and turbo OM606? - McAdam - 04-11-2012

The oil lines and cooler I am not concerned about, as all of that can be added after market, and would have to be re-done anyway with such a custom engine build in the works.

The HE351VE flows about 65lbs/min in its effeciency range, and that, on a gasser engine would be around 650hp crank.

I would be planning a rebuild either way, so the condition of the engine is kind of a moot point, as long as all the parts are there and service-able.

RE: Differences between N/A and turbo OM606? - sassparilla_kid - 04-11-2012

I found a turbo about that size, maybe larger, yesterday in the automotive shop at school hiding with a bunch of other neat stuff

RE: Differences between N/A and turbo OM606? - yatzee - 04-12-2012

I'm starting to ponder a build and had the exact same question as the OP. I've found a couple complete w124 om606 cars kicking around here. I was thinking about buying 1 and upgrading it to a turbo with a big pump/IC/Turbo.

In order to do this, I'd need to install stronger rods (is there anything from the MB Parts bin that would work), swap the oil pumps, and anything else?