STD
Best 190E/D Manual Tranny for Auto Conversion - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Drivetrain (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Best 190E/D Manual Tranny for Auto Conversion (/showthread.php?tid=4334)

Best 190E/D Manual Tranny for Auto Conversion - Turn1 - 02-08-2013

I understand that this is an easy conversion. Is there a specific year better than the others are will the lowest mileage unit be the best??

Thx

RE: Best 190E/D Manual Tranny for Auto Conversion - aaa - 02-08-2013

The 16v 190e cars don't have overdrive but are stronger, the clutch disc/flywheel combo is also the second-biggest available (biggest being 300E). Also, around 89 they switched over to dual-mass flywheels, with altered transmission shafts to match.

RE: Best 190E/D Manual Tranny for Auto Conversion - benzguy300 - 02-08-2013

If you are going to do a conversion in a late model 190E I think 88 and up make sure the flywheel has the timing tabs if you are doing a 190D don't worry about it

RE: Best 190E/D Manual Tranny for Auto Conversion - Turn1 - 02-09-2013

Believe it or not english is my primary language but I obviously suck at it. Let me rephrase my question: Which 190E/D manual transmission is best for converting an 87 300D from auto to manual.

PS. Thx for the previous responses and I apologize for wasting your time. Confused

(02-08-2013, 08:08 PM)Turn1 I understand that this is an easy conversion. Is there a specific year better than the others are will the lowest mileage unit be the best??

Thx

RE: Best 190E/D Manual Tranny for Auto Conversion - sassparilla_kid - 02-09-2013

I think they will all be a pain in the ass seeing as how the om60X series engines have a different bolt pattern than the om61X series engines, and the starter is on the wrong side.

That being said, I have no idea, probably one of the earlier ones before they changed to the dual mass flywheel

RE: Best 190E/D Manual Tranny for Auto Conversion - aaa - 02-09-2013

I would grab any earlier non-dualmass one, and figure out how to get a stronger clutch. The smaller 190d clutches are known for not holding the stock 603's power.

RE: Best 190E/D Manual Tranny for Auto Conversion - sassparilla_kid - 02-09-2013

Oh wow I'm a dumbass, disregard my earlier post, I obviously have not had coffee yet today

RE: Best 190E/D Manual Tranny for Auto Conversion - benzguy300 - 02-10-2013

I have a dual mass flywheel in my 87 300TD and works very good because the dual mass flywheel is heavier than the single mass and diesel engine needs a heavier flywheel and the clutch is 9.5'' You can use any 190 transmission but the flywheel needs to be for a 9'' clutch at least don't use the 8.5'' flywheel

RE: Best 190E/D Manual Tranny for Auto Conversion - raysorenson - 02-11-2013

The trans from a 190e 16v is the strongest but it has a 1:1 5th gear so your top gear ratio will be unchanged. This is good from a performance perspective since the ratios are closer but you'll miss out on some fuel economy. I have one of these transmissions and my fuel economy did improve when I installed it. I get 26-27mpg in my 603 W124 and a very heavy foot. On road trips setting the cruise at 78mph and a little city driving I've seen 36mpg. The 190e 16v has a 9" clutch and the early cars have a single mass flywheel with the required longer input shaft on the trans. These are the most desirable for modding.

The overdrive 5 speeds are easier to get but there are many complaints about them breaking when you throw power at them.