STD
Das Boot aka PITA - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Projects (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Das Boot aka PITA (/showthread.php?tid=4836)

Das Boot aka PITA - Simpler=Better - 08-21-2013

Anybody ever get a ratcheting tensioner on a turbo '82? Because I got one last night and it slowed us down big time. All set now though, got to pull the thermostat and all that crap.

RE: Das Boot aka PITA - Duncansport - 08-21-2013

(08-21-2013, 08:47 AM)Simpler=Better Anybody ever get a ratcheting tensioner on a turbo '82? Because I got one last night and it slowed us down big time. All set now though, got to pull the thermostat and all that crap.

Every replacement one ive done is of the ratcheting type.. Not sure when the change was made? Bilstein is NLA from 1/2012

RE: Das Boot aka PITA - Simpler=Better - 08-22-2013

Everything is bolted back on(offset key, valves adjusted, chain tensioner, water pump stubby hose, new turbo oil lines, GT2056V, w115 intake, new glow plugs), all ready for a test fire aaaand dead battery. Also, I'm pretty sure I killed the turbo last night-but the test fire will tell the truth

And because y'all like pictures here's our fancy workspace:

RE: Das Boot aka PITA - JB3 - 08-22-2013

like your workspace shot, very dramatic lighting.
looks like you guys are assembling a bomb in secrecy

Can you take a location pic of the ratcheting tensioner and or describe where this is located on the turbo and what it does? Because that looks like a small driveshaft flange to me with one ear broken off. Big Grin

It's the timing chain tensioner. When we put in the offset key the bastard slipped tighter and cranked down on the timing chain, which forced us to pull the thermostat housing and tensioner assembly in order to get the cam sprocket back on. Which meant an additional couple of unplanned hours mucking around, draining coolant, going to the store for a new radiator hose (while we're in there better replace the 30yr one), etc.

#185 in the pic below:
[Image: 111739d1368988223-cant-source-om617-timi...sioner.jpg]

http://mb.bolinko.org/15/warsztat-mainmenu-32/silnik-om617-mainmenu-75/62-engine-timing-valves/336-removal-and-installation-of-chain-tensioner.html

RE: Das Boot aka PITA - willbhere4u - 08-22-2013

how did you kill a turbo?

RE: Das Boot aka PITA - JB3 - 08-22-2013

(08-22-2013, 09:38 AM)Simpler=Better It's the timing chain tensioner. When we put in the offset key the bastard slipped tighter and cranked down on the timing chain, which forced us to pull the thermostat housing and tensioner assembly in order to get the cam sprocket back on. Which meant an additional couple of unplanned hours mucking around, draining coolant, going to the store for a new radiator hose (while we're in there better replace the 30yr one), etc.

lol, thanks for the clarification. For some reason I thought that was related to a turbocharger I have never seen! Blush

more coffee needs to be drunk in the morning I think

(08-22-2013, 10:02 AM)willbhere4u how did you kill a turbo?

I would like to know this as well.

Needed to clock the compressor housing. Mind you, 12 months ago I had this fucker apart, cleaned, and relubed. It's been in a crate since then.

Loosened all but 1 bolt, rounded that tapered piece of shit 8mm right off.

So I sprayed her down with WD40 and thought that I could tap(let's be honest here beat the shit out of it with a rubber mallet) the outlet pipe to rotate the housing, spinning the bolt loose in the process, solving all my problems, and magically creating a unicorn goat that not only mows the lawn but shits silicone connector boots, specifically the ones I'm short.

So it moved all right, and the back plate moves with it. Bolt did loosen up, but now my backing plate (behind the compressor wheel) rotates with it 10°-15° of freedom. Doesn't feel like it's moving in or out though.

I'm 96% confident that I fucked myself and she's going to explode when we test fire it (with the boost elbow disconnected).

RE: Das Boot aka PITA - 1911diesel - 08-22-2013

good luck! were watching! just like the government! LOL

RE: Das Boot aka PITA - willbhere4u - 08-23-2013

(08-22-2013, 12:58 PM)1911diesel good luck! were watching! just like the government! LOL

yep! Big Grin

RE: Das Boot aka PITA - JB3 - 08-23-2013

Fingers crossed on the turbo

RE: Das Boot aka PITA - Simpler=Better - 08-23-2013

From what I've read online it ain't gonna happen.

So the options are to go back to the T3, or try and cobble together an unbalanced hybrid with some 2256 parts kicking around, or go NA with the 115 manifolds and a hood stack. I'm booked tonight, and the seat still isn't reinstalled in the wagon...so yeah, I'll be there in the Ranger :p

RE: Das Boot aka PITA - 1911diesel - 08-23-2013

(08-23-2013, 12:25 PM)Simpler=Better From what I've read online it ain't gonna happen.

So the options are to go back to the T3, or try and cobble together an unbalanced hybrid with some 2256 parts kicking around, or go NA with the 115 manifolds and a hood stack. I'm booked tonight, and the seat still isn't reinstalled in the wagon...so yeah, I'll be there in the Ranger :p

HOOD STACK! HOOD STACK! HOOD STACK!
your a total pu$$y if you dont roll hood stacked!lol j/k i am looking for a spare hood so i can run a hood stack for a bit to see if i like it...lol

RE: Das Boot aka PITA - majesty78 - 08-24-2013

If backplate is rotating 10-15°, it's fooocked up ;-)