STD Other Projects stan's 1980 300TD

stan's 1980 300TD

stan's 1980 300TD

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3
Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

10-30-2010, 09:24 PM #101
(10-30-2010, 04:30 PM)garage Can that be adjusted in my driveway Capt? or do i need to have a shop align it?

Yessir, they can. I zero'ed mine out when I replaced the lower bushings, But you should really have it aligned by a shop. Garage, if you need an alignment done, I know of a great guy that has an old school machine and I take all my vehicles to him and they come out with better alignments than any other place that I've been to with the new high tech laser bullshit bullshit machines. He charges $65, and He already did my car three times.

1. When i first bought the car
2. After I cut the coil the first time
3. after control arm bushing and final coil cut.
(10-30-2010, 06:24 PM)dropnosky
(10-29-2010, 12:06 AM)stan one issue that has become obvious is that my front camber is WAY off. in only a couple thousand miles, its scrubbed most of the outer edge of the front tires off. i'm not sure wtf could cause this....do our cars have camber adjustments that i could have corrected, or am i pretty much going to have to chop my front springs?

wouldn't the tire sanding in less than a 1000 miles more likely be a toe problem? I don't see how even with absolutely horrible camber it would wear that fast, all the wear would be in one spot, but it would not be super fast wear. For example, if you super overload one of these sedans, you have a major camber alteration, but even then, the tire does not wear down in such speed.

I feel like you have a toe problem if the sanding is so fast. Even if the car tracks straight, you could still have a toe problem, I once worked on a cube truck which was rolling nice and straight, but was cooking the tires twice as fast as the other trucks. Turned out that it was toed in way more than spec, did not create a pull or wander, but it ate the tire up fast.

I would also verify the toe before I messed with the eccentric bolt personally. You can do a toe alignment in the driveway easily as well.
(10-27-2010, 12:33 PM)Captain America I think those lights would look hideous on a 123! Why would you do that? Your tail lights dont work or they are just too dim?

If i were him, my placement of choice for lights like that would be on that Uber-rack he has on there. From half a mile away at night his car will look like a truck of some sort, or an ambulance or something.

To add to the drop master, when and if the camber changes... the toe also changes!!!!

Good call on the rack!
This post was last modified: 10-30-2010, 09:27 PM by Captain America.

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

Captain America
10-30-2010, 09:24 PM #101

(10-30-2010, 04:30 PM)garage Can that be adjusted in my driveway Capt? or do i need to have a shop align it?

Yessir, they can. I zero'ed mine out when I replaced the lower bushings, But you should really have it aligned by a shop. Garage, if you need an alignment done, I know of a great guy that has an old school machine and I take all my vehicles to him and they come out with better alignments than any other place that I've been to with the new high tech laser bullshit bullshit machines. He charges $65, and He already did my car three times.

1. When i first bought the car
2. After I cut the coil the first time
3. after control arm bushing and final coil cut.
(10-30-2010, 06:24 PM)dropnosky
(10-29-2010, 12:06 AM)stan one issue that has become obvious is that my front camber is WAY off. in only a couple thousand miles, its scrubbed most of the outer edge of the front tires off. i'm not sure wtf could cause this....do our cars have camber adjustments that i could have corrected, or am i pretty much going to have to chop my front springs?

wouldn't the tire sanding in less than a 1000 miles more likely be a toe problem? I don't see how even with absolutely horrible camber it would wear that fast, all the wear would be in one spot, but it would not be super fast wear. For example, if you super overload one of these sedans, you have a major camber alteration, but even then, the tire does not wear down in such speed.

I feel like you have a toe problem if the sanding is so fast. Even if the car tracks straight, you could still have a toe problem, I once worked on a cube truck which was rolling nice and straight, but was cooking the tires twice as fast as the other trucks. Turned out that it was toed in way more than spec, did not create a pull or wander, but it ate the tire up fast.

I would also verify the toe before I messed with the eccentric bolt personally. You can do a toe alignment in the driveway easily as well.
(10-27-2010, 12:33 PM)Captain America I think those lights would look hideous on a 123! Why would you do that? Your tail lights dont work or they are just too dim?

If i were him, my placement of choice for lights like that would be on that Uber-rack he has on there. From half a mile away at night his car will look like a truck of some sort, or an ambulance or something.

To add to the drop master, when and if the camber changes... the toe also changes!!!!

Good call on the rack!

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

stan
Holset

02-21-2011, 09:48 PM #102
sadly, the 300TD saga has come to an end. it finally gave up the ghost, and is now going to a better home. that concludes this profile thread. fare well friend.
stan
02-21-2011, 09:48 PM #102

sadly, the 300TD saga has come to an end. it finally gave up the ghost, and is now going to a better home. that concludes this profile thread. fare well friend.

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average