STD Other Projects My 87 300D Build Plus...

My 87 300D Build Plus...

My 87 300D Build Plus...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3
NGARover
GTA2056V

02-10-2014, 06:39 PM #101
(02-10-2014, 08:53 AM)winmutt Looks awfully green up there Smile. I agree should take springs as is. Will probably be a little lower anyways because of the engine weight. Sucks about the oil cooler. Didn't you just get that off ebay? Id file a complaint.

I got the lines off ebay, not the cooler itself.

(02-10-2014, 10:45 AM)Duncansport
(02-09-2014, 04:47 PM)NGARover
(02-04-2014, 08:08 AM)winmutt It's supposed to rain this weekend but only 30% on sunday. Am going to the junkyard on Sunday, a new 95 e320 came in yesterday at Pull A Part North.

Worked on the car. Got the parts in for the drive train but didn't get to them. Soaked the oil cooler in buster for a week and tried but was still not budging. Not even with an air hammer on the bolts. So I took a cut off wheel and made a cut on each bolt. THEN used the air hammer. The top one came off fine. The bottom one seemed to, but alas, the threads are gone. Going to have to locate a local radiator rep are shop and see if they can retap it for me. Unless you know of one sitting around someplace.

While looking at the oil cooler I discovered that the mount for the front anti sway bar had sheered off right at the frame! I can't believe that during all this I had not noticed that till now. Good news is that the bracket is dirt cheap (like 26 bucks) but also that the 94 had the exact same one for free. Got it on and also used the bushing from the 94 as they where really nice. One issue though, the top bolt on the a arm that holds the bushing thats at the end of the bar broke also... Looks like I'll have to drill it out and find a bolt I can feed though, as its actually a part of the a arm.

Seems that A/C compressor is good from my car. It turns free and seems to pump the oil thats in it. The line had a lot of oil in it when I had to cut it. The one on the 94 seems to be the same unit as well, with just different hoses bolted to it... I know it works cause I ran it when I had the engine running. Going to need to have the bottom A/c hose that goes to the condenser before I run this engine.

Took another look at the drivers spring perch. I think I'm going to go ahead and run a new weld up the seam just to be safe when I swap out the springs from the 94. Still up in the air about cutting the spring. Here is a picture of the 94's stance again as it is now... Seems pretty low as it is.

Looks like snow coming in for the week so project is again on hold. I HATE not having a garage.

I have an oil cooler from my 1992 300D in good shape with lines if you need it? I'm swapping to a 605 so i wont need it

Send you a pm!
This post was last modified: 02-10-2014, 06:47 PM by NGARover.
NGARover
02-10-2014, 06:39 PM #101

(02-10-2014, 08:53 AM)winmutt Looks awfully green up there Smile. I agree should take springs as is. Will probably be a little lower anyways because of the engine weight. Sucks about the oil cooler. Didn't you just get that off ebay? Id file a complaint.

I got the lines off ebay, not the cooler itself.

(02-10-2014, 10:45 AM)Duncansport
(02-09-2014, 04:47 PM)NGARover
(02-04-2014, 08:08 AM)winmutt It's supposed to rain this weekend but only 30% on sunday. Am going to the junkyard on Sunday, a new 95 e320 came in yesterday at Pull A Part North.

Worked on the car. Got the parts in for the drive train but didn't get to them. Soaked the oil cooler in buster for a week and tried but was still not budging. Not even with an air hammer on the bolts. So I took a cut off wheel and made a cut on each bolt. THEN used the air hammer. The top one came off fine. The bottom one seemed to, but alas, the threads are gone. Going to have to locate a local radiator rep are shop and see if they can retap it for me. Unless you know of one sitting around someplace.

While looking at the oil cooler I discovered that the mount for the front anti sway bar had sheered off right at the frame! I can't believe that during all this I had not noticed that till now. Good news is that the bracket is dirt cheap (like 26 bucks) but also that the 94 had the exact same one for free. Got it on and also used the bushing from the 94 as they where really nice. One issue though, the top bolt on the a arm that holds the bushing thats at the end of the bar broke also... Looks like I'll have to drill it out and find a bolt I can feed though, as its actually a part of the a arm.

Seems that A/C compressor is good from my car. It turns free and seems to pump the oil thats in it. The line had a lot of oil in it when I had to cut it. The one on the 94 seems to be the same unit as well, with just different hoses bolted to it... I know it works cause I ran it when I had the engine running. Going to need to have the bottom A/c hose that goes to the condenser before I run this engine.

Took another look at the drivers spring perch. I think I'm going to go ahead and run a new weld up the seam just to be safe when I swap out the springs from the 94. Still up in the air about cutting the spring. Here is a picture of the 94's stance again as it is now... Seems pretty low as it is.

Looks like snow coming in for the week so project is again on hold. I HATE not having a garage.

I have an oil cooler from my 1992 300D in good shape with lines if you need it? I'm swapping to a 605 so i wont need it

Send you a pm!

winmutt
bitbanger

02-10-2014, 08:00 PM #102
He is across the pond. There are two 603's on atl craigs list being parted out. Talk to one of them and work out the money, I'll pull it if needed.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
02-10-2014, 08:00 PM #102

He is across the pond. There are two 603's on atl craigs list being parted out. Talk to one of them and work out the money, I'll pull it if needed.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

NGARover
GTA2056V

02-16-2014, 05:45 PM #103
62 today. was able to get out and take care of a few more things.

I replaced the front flex disk, the bearing and the carrier hanger, and the exhaust mounts. Going to have to replace the rear flex disk also, but I'll have to order it.

Also got the trans all finished, and everything hooked back up. Still a long ways to go...

Was able to locate the replacement nipples for the oil cooler, have a pair of them coming on Wednesday and will attempt to retap it.

BTW, Check out the cracking in the old flex disk... man that thing was crap! rear one showing the same wear so it will have to be replaced asap. going to order the parts tonight. And that carrier bearing, thats how it came out!
This post was last modified: 02-16-2014, 05:47 PM by NGARover.
Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
02-16-2014, 05:45 PM #103

62 today. was able to get out and take care of a few more things.

I replaced the front flex disk, the bearing and the carrier hanger, and the exhaust mounts. Going to have to replace the rear flex disk also, but I'll have to order it.

Also got the trans all finished, and everything hooked back up. Still a long ways to go...

Was able to locate the replacement nipples for the oil cooler, have a pair of them coming on Wednesday and will attempt to retap it.

BTW, Check out the cracking in the old flex disk... man that thing was crap! rear one showing the same wear so it will have to be replaced asap. going to order the parts tonight. And that carrier bearing, thats how it came out!

Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
GTA2056V

02-22-2014, 04:59 PM #104
No new pictures but today I pulled the front brakes and springs off the 94 to use in the 87. Ordered the new oil cooler, still going to tap the one I have but it's good to know I have a spare.

Had to pause and work on my 85 euro 300TDT, looks like a bad brake booster. Already spoke for a replacement that will be coming with a new MC as well. Will be good to have her on the road again. Once it's running, I'll be loading up the old 603 engine in my van to deliver it to Winmutt, so I can go ahead and sell the van. (I hate mini vans) May work more on the rear of the 94 tomorrow and steal it's brakes and whatever else I see back there. Keep finding more rust in that car... It's amazing the amount of rust it had hidden from first view.
NGARover
02-22-2014, 04:59 PM #104

No new pictures but today I pulled the front brakes and springs off the 94 to use in the 87. Ordered the new oil cooler, still going to tap the one I have but it's good to know I have a spare.

Had to pause and work on my 85 euro 300TDT, looks like a bad brake booster. Already spoke for a replacement that will be coming with a new MC as well. Will be good to have her on the road again. Once it's running, I'll be loading up the old 603 engine in my van to deliver it to Winmutt, so I can go ahead and sell the van. (I hate mini vans) May work more on the rear of the 94 tomorrow and steal it's brakes and whatever else I see back there. Keep finding more rust in that car... It's amazing the amount of rust it had hidden from first view.

NGARover
GTA2056V

03-09-2014, 07:16 PM #105
Got it back together enough today to start it for the first time.

Here is video of that very first attempt... Actually it started pretty well considering...

Note toward the end of the video you can see some oil under the car...

Seems the turbo supply line didn't seal up like it should... so that will be the next thing to fix. (and of course get all the vac lines and everything else back correctly)
NGARover
03-09-2014, 07:16 PM #105

Got it back together enough today to start it for the first time.

Here is video of that very first attempt... Actually it started pretty well considering...

Note toward the end of the video you can see some oil under the car...

Seems the turbo supply line didn't seal up like it should... so that will be the next thing to fix. (and of course get all the vac lines and everything else back correctly)

winmutt
bitbanger

03-10-2014, 07:44 AM #106
Is your ELR functioning properly? Didn't sound like it.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42
winmutt
03-10-2014, 07:44 AM #106

Is your ELR functioning properly? Didn't sound like it.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

NGARover
GTA2056V

03-10-2014, 10:57 PM #107
(03-10-2014, 07:44 AM)winmutt Is your ELR functioning properly? Didn't sound like it.

ya, I don't thing I had it plugged in yet.
NGARover
03-10-2014, 10:57 PM #107

(03-10-2014, 07:44 AM)winmutt Is your ELR functioning properly? Didn't sound like it.

ya, I don't thing I had it plugged in yet.

mbz123
GT2256V

03-19-2014, 12:53 PM #108
Oooooh that baby sounds good. Good to see the girl getting back to her feet. Too bad on the puddle, tho. At least there's enough elbow room in there to make it a quick job.

Idle sounds just a hare slow. You could manually adjust the idle to where you want. It's the bolt just forward of elr. Loose the locknut and turn ccw. When you have eds complete and ready to hook up just lower it back down.

MBZ123
mbz123
03-19-2014, 12:53 PM #108

Oooooh that baby sounds good. Good to see the girl getting back to her feet. Too bad on the puddle, tho. At least there's enough elbow room in there to make it a quick job.

Idle sounds just a hare slow. You could manually adjust the idle to where you want. It's the bolt just forward of elr. Loose the locknut and turn ccw. When you have eds complete and ready to hook up just lower it back down.

MBZ123

NGARover
GTA2056V

03-21-2014, 06:42 PM #109
(03-19-2014, 12:53 PM)mbz123 Oooooh that baby sounds good. Good to see the girl getting back to her feet. Too bad on the puddle, tho. At least there's enough elbow room in there to make it a quick job.

MBZ123

Thanks! Sounds a LOT better today...

I fixed the oil leak from the turbo supply line. Got the vac all hooked up, everything tightened down and figured I would take it for it's first drive. I want to work out any bugs now before I go and change the stance, replace the brakes etc...

First off, cars a beast. MUCH better than it's ever been in regards to power etc. I can hear the turbo singing, oddly I can even hear the turbo blow off.. Something I have never heard before...

On the first major kick down the peddle stuck to the floor... I shut the car off and pulled over to see what was up... nothing major just a bent part on the cruise control had hung up the linkage. Find that in about 10 seconds and was off again. Drove it down and filled it with fuel. On the way home oil light came on... Sure enough, oil driving from front of engine and had sprayed around some... looks like front crankshaft seal and maybe a hub... at least they are not super expensive,

Uploading a new video of it running now that everything hooked up and working plus showing the new leak.

something messed up with video, reuploading... new link is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uarQoya7x_k
This post was last modified: 03-22-2014, 08:13 AM by NGARover.
NGARover
03-21-2014, 06:42 PM #109

(03-19-2014, 12:53 PM)mbz123 Oooooh that baby sounds good. Good to see the girl getting back to her feet. Too bad on the puddle, tho. At least there's enough elbow room in there to make it a quick job.

MBZ123

Thanks! Sounds a LOT better today...

I fixed the oil leak from the turbo supply line. Got the vac all hooked up, everything tightened down and figured I would take it for it's first drive. I want to work out any bugs now before I go and change the stance, replace the brakes etc...

First off, cars a beast. MUCH better than it's ever been in regards to power etc. I can hear the turbo singing, oddly I can even hear the turbo blow off.. Something I have never heard before...

On the first major kick down the peddle stuck to the floor... I shut the car off and pulled over to see what was up... nothing major just a bent part on the cruise control had hung up the linkage. Find that in about 10 seconds and was off again. Drove it down and filled it with fuel. On the way home oil light came on... Sure enough, oil driving from front of engine and had sprayed around some... looks like front crankshaft seal and maybe a hub... at least they are not super expensive,

Uploading a new video of it running now that everything hooked up and working plus showing the new leak.

something messed up with video, reuploading... new link is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uarQoya7x_k

NGARover
GTA2056V

03-23-2014, 07:02 PM #110
Replaced the front crankshaft seal today. Simple job. Took about 2.5 hours.

Drove the car into town and back. Brakes feel like they are dragging in the rear somewhat. I have the full set from the 94 going on soon.

NGARover
03-23-2014, 07:02 PM #110

Replaced the front crankshaft seal today. Simple job. Took about 2.5 hours.

Drove the car into town and back. Brakes feel like they are dragging in the rear somewhat. I have the full set from the 94 going on soon.

NGARover
GTA2056V

04-01-2014, 12:43 AM #111
Been driving the car back and forth (hour each way) to work the last week to work out any bugs. Runs fantastic. But I did run into an issue with that old frame repair and trying to get a good alinement. So, will be dropping car off to have that repaired correctly on a laser rack this week.

Noticed a few other little things I need to address, but looks like the engine swap was a 100% success.

After frame repair is done, next thing is to get the windshield replaced, plus install the glass trim from the 94. Also, need to get spacers in the front fender (and lower the pass side hood adjust down a little) Then I can swap in the springs from the 94 and get the brakes swapped over.

Once all that's done, it will be time to start the upgrades, on the turbo and the pump.
NGARover
04-01-2014, 12:43 AM #111

Been driving the car back and forth (hour each way) to work the last week to work out any bugs. Runs fantastic. But I did run into an issue with that old frame repair and trying to get a good alinement. So, will be dropping car off to have that repaired correctly on a laser rack this week.

Noticed a few other little things I need to address, but looks like the engine swap was a 100% success.

After frame repair is done, next thing is to get the windshield replaced, plus install the glass trim from the 94. Also, need to get spacers in the front fender (and lower the pass side hood adjust down a little) Then I can swap in the springs from the 94 and get the brakes swapped over.

Once all that's done, it will be time to start the upgrades, on the turbo and the pump.

winmutt
bitbanger

04-01-2014, 12:42 PM #112
About time. Quit being a slacker.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42
winmutt
04-01-2014, 12:42 PM #112

About time. Quit being a slacker.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

NGARover
GTA2056V

04-05-2014, 07:08 PM #113
(04-01-2014, 12:42 PM)winmutt About time. Quit being a slacker.

HAHA
Today, I swapped the rear brakes from the 94. Also gave the rear new brake pads that happen to be in the trunk of the 94... man I have used a lot of stuff from that parts car..

One thing that was in the trunk of the 94 was this old suitcase. Hmmm... I wonder what's in it?

SCORE!

Dropped the big bucks to solve my front fender spacing...

Turned out well good.

Here you can see one place the tire was hitting when I would hit dips. But only if I had my co worker in the car with me (he's over 200 pounds)

Since I was working on the fender anyways I went ahead and remove the pass fender completely and adjusted the hood correctly, so it does not side high anymore. much better. I still need to roll the fenders and take it out for a drive to see if I still can hit, but I'm just about ready to lower it.
This post was last modified: 04-05-2014, 07:15 PM by NGARover.
NGARover
04-05-2014, 07:08 PM #113

(04-01-2014, 12:42 PM)winmutt About time. Quit being a slacker.

HAHA
Today, I swapped the rear brakes from the 94. Also gave the rear new brake pads that happen to be in the trunk of the 94... man I have used a lot of stuff from that parts car..

One thing that was in the trunk of the 94 was this old suitcase. Hmmm... I wonder what's in it?

SCORE!

Dropped the big bucks to solve my front fender spacing...

Turned out well good.

Here you can see one place the tire was hitting when I would hit dips. But only if I had my co worker in the car with me (he's over 200 pounds)

Since I was working on the fender anyways I went ahead and remove the pass fender completely and adjusted the hood correctly, so it does not side high anymore. much better. I still need to roll the fenders and take it out for a drive to see if I still can hit, but I'm just about ready to lower it.

winmutt
bitbanger

04-05-2014, 11:46 PM #114
[Image: 84-307-large.jpg]

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42
winmutt
04-05-2014, 11:46 PM #114

[Image: 84-307-large.jpg]

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

NGARover
GTA2056V

04-06-2014, 08:52 AM #115
(04-05-2014, 11:46 PM)winmutt [Image: 84-307-large.jpg]

HA!!!
NGARover
04-06-2014, 08:52 AM #115

(04-05-2014, 11:46 PM)winmutt [Image: 84-307-large.jpg]

HA!!!

NGARover
GTA2056V

04-15-2014, 07:43 AM #116
Been driving the 87 last couple of weeks back and forth to work. Tons of power. Not a single scrape since I put in the fender spacers. But today I was in town, about to leave for ATL to buy another car when the trans started to slip. I took it over to friends shop and no fluid was on stick! So, we refilled it and trans fluid was dripping out of the torque convertor area... Had not seen any puddles under car where I park it. Thinking Torque seal, Rolf mentioned the drain plug but I don't remember ever touching that.... But I've done dumber stuff... Have to get it back up in air to really check. Even full, 3rd seems to be slipping now so other damage has been done. Might be time to consider moving forward on a 5 speed swap.

While in town I had to run over to DMV to drop a van I just sold, and a guy pulled in next to me in a 190... First one I have ever really looked at up close. Man, My w124 dwarfed his car! I did't realize just how much smaller they are until it was next to me. It was a little red machine, nice interior had sport line badging and 16V. Don't know year but headlights looked like the originals that had been on my 87. Being used as a work car, as in hauling crap... Guys local and my be willing to let it go cheap as it's "too small" for him...

Tax year has come and gone and now wife wants to retire the 99 E320 wagon she's now been driving almost 3 years. We found a couple 2005 E500 AWD Wagons that she likes so that may be her next car. Other than that, I'm busting butt on the 85 Wagon to resolve the brake booster issue since it will have to be my daily driver again until I get this 87 sorted out. Greezer's helping me out there. I just totally lucked out as I had bought the original Euro wagon hitch but, it was missing the two mounting bars which just happen to come up on ebay and I won for under 50 bucks with shipping! Someone has cut he ball of the hitch, so going to convert it to the receiver to work with US hardware.
NGARover
04-15-2014, 07:43 AM #116

Been driving the 87 last couple of weeks back and forth to work. Tons of power. Not a single scrape since I put in the fender spacers. But today I was in town, about to leave for ATL to buy another car when the trans started to slip. I took it over to friends shop and no fluid was on stick! So, we refilled it and trans fluid was dripping out of the torque convertor area... Had not seen any puddles under car where I park it. Thinking Torque seal, Rolf mentioned the drain plug but I don't remember ever touching that.... But I've done dumber stuff... Have to get it back up in air to really check. Even full, 3rd seems to be slipping now so other damage has been done. Might be time to consider moving forward on a 5 speed swap.

While in town I had to run over to DMV to drop a van I just sold, and a guy pulled in next to me in a 190... First one I have ever really looked at up close. Man, My w124 dwarfed his car! I did't realize just how much smaller they are until it was next to me. It was a little red machine, nice interior had sport line badging and 16V. Don't know year but headlights looked like the originals that had been on my 87. Being used as a work car, as in hauling crap... Guys local and my be willing to let it go cheap as it's "too small" for him...

Tax year has come and gone and now wife wants to retire the 99 E320 wagon she's now been driving almost 3 years. We found a couple 2005 E500 AWD Wagons that she likes so that may be her next car. Other than that, I'm busting butt on the 85 Wagon to resolve the brake booster issue since it will have to be my daily driver again until I get this 87 sorted out. Greezer's helping me out there. I just totally lucked out as I had bought the original Euro wagon hitch but, it was missing the two mounting bars which just happen to come up on ebay and I won for under 50 bucks with shipping! Someone has cut he ball of the hitch, so going to convert it to the receiver to work with US hardware.

raysorenson
Superturbo

04-15-2014, 08:03 AM #117
More likely the pump seal leaking.
raysorenson
04-15-2014, 08:03 AM #117

More likely the pump seal leaking.

NGARover
GTA2056V

04-15-2014, 06:15 PM #118
(04-15-2014, 08:03 AM)raysorenson More likely the pump seal leaking.

Normally I would agree, but you tend to see a leaking pump seal when the car is sitting still. This seems to leak only when car is running, which points to torque convertor seal.

Dropping trans again is no biggy, just a pain. I go head and rebuild it while it's out this time and also replace the rear engine seal since I had to replace the front one. Better safe than sorry, just wish I would have done it in the first place.
NGARover
04-15-2014, 06:15 PM #118

(04-15-2014, 08:03 AM)raysorenson More likely the pump seal leaking.

Normally I would agree, but you tend to see a leaking pump seal when the car is sitting still. This seems to leak only when car is running, which points to torque convertor seal.

Dropping trans again is no biggy, just a pain. I go head and rebuild it while it's out this time and also replace the rear engine seal since I had to replace the front one. Better safe than sorry, just wish I would have done it in the first place.

raysorenson
Superturbo

04-16-2014, 07:01 AM #119
Fluid passes, under pressure, through the pump seal.
raysorenson
04-16-2014, 07:01 AM #119

Fluid passes, under pressure, through the pump seal.

NGARover
GTA2056V

06-02-2015, 06:50 PM #120
UPdate!

Ok, so the transmission was hosed. The "pump shaft" was damaged and sourcing one proved out of the price range. User on another forum had a replacement transmission that I bought and shipped from California. Trans came and it was super clean, even the bolts on it still have the gold ionization. Install it, and replaced the trans-mount while at it. So all rubber under car is now new.

Replaced the bent center link Replaced the battery and took the car in for a quick alinement. Car feels solid as a brick now. Here is video of me starting it up after it sat for almost a year...

Drove car to work today, perfect. Not a drop of anything under it after sitting all day, here driveway is also clean. Time to move to next part and get the frame damage sorted out. Appointment to drop car off is Tuesday. I'll get some pictures of it if I can.

[url=http://youtu.be/NMMQHFqf-I4][/url]
NGARover
06-02-2015, 06:50 PM #120

UPdate!

Ok, so the transmission was hosed. The "pump shaft" was damaged and sourcing one proved out of the price range. User on another forum had a replacement transmission that I bought and shipped from California. Trans came and it was super clean, even the bolts on it still have the gold ionization. Install it, and replaced the trans-mount while at it. So all rubber under car is now new.

Replaced the bent center link Replaced the battery and took the car in for a quick alinement. Car feels solid as a brick now. Here is video of me starting it up after it sat for almost a year...

Drove car to work today, perfect. Not a drop of anything under it after sitting all day, here driveway is also clean. Time to move to next part and get the frame damage sorted out. Appointment to drop car off is Tuesday. I'll get some pictures of it if I can.

[url=http://youtu.be/NMMQHFqf-I4][/url]

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average